The history of this Chateau begins with the expropriation of a vast property owned by the Lords of Lafite, sold as “national property”. The estate of Chateu Milon, which was part of that plot of land, was bought in 1789 by the Clerc family who put his surname there renaming it Chateau Clerc Milon. The high quality of the wines of that estate, located in the northern part of Pauillac, next to Chateau Mouton Rothschild and Chateau Lafite Rothschild, earned him the election as Grand Cru Classé in the famous Médoc wines classification, in 1855, by the Place de Bordeaux merchants. Unfortunately the estate history was characterized by the succession of owners belonging to different families that, in fact, diminished its prestige and value, and it was only in 1970 that the fate of the Chateau began to change, with his purchase by Baron Philippe de Rothschild. The situation was really critical with the original vineyards divided into hundreds of plots of as many owners, with the main plot that counted only 10.5 hectares suitable for production, compared to the original 30.
The Baron projects took shape in two different and complementary directions: reunify the scattered plots and begin a complex work of “re-branding”. For this second purpose a new label was chosen which consisted of a German married couple, first, and a pair of dancing clowns with precious stones set, starting in 1983. Moreover, although the Chateau does not have a real castle, in 2007 it was also equipped with a new vinification structure, based on the green philosophy, in which the various steps are carried out only thanks to the force of gravity. Thanks to these initiatives, the Chateau Clerc Milon, today, comes from 45 hectares of vineyards, divided into 247 parcels, planted in Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (37%), Cabernet Franc (10%), Petit Verdot (2%) and Carmenere (1%), and cultivated in strict biodynamic system, with a planting density of 8500/10000 vines per hectare.
The 2015 vintage has guaranteed an optima maturation harvest, and the bunches, arrived in the cellar in wooden boxes of 12 kg, faced the steps of vinification in the 40 stainless steel tanks, which allow a very precise vinification of the different vines and terroir, in the dedicated room. After the malolactic fermentation (always in tanks) the wine was transferred to the barriques, where it was aged for 14-16 months before the final bottling.
In the glass the wine shows an intense ruby red color with a purple nail, and an evident glyceric density, the result of a year slightly warmer and drier than average. To the nose this opulence translates into the main aromas of blackberry, plum, cassis cream and licorice, followed by Balkan Sobranie tobacco, leather and cocoa, with concluding echoes of graphite, all lightened by an important balsamic component. The mouthfeel starts powerfull and full-bodied, but in the development of the sip emerges, with grace and determination, a very fresh and mentholate vein which duets with a good number of refined tannins, present up to a long closing, halfway between savory and fruity sensations.
Want to find out what I can do for you? Click here!